Friday, September 05, 2008

Visual Studio Using Huge Amounts of Memory

Lately I have been working on a solution with 33 projects on Visual Studio 2008.

Yeah, I know. That's a lot.

A lot of them were test projects and it is SCSF-based, so that is okay, but Visual Studio was chewing up loads of memory. I mean serious amounts, towards the 2GB limit. At this point, my hard disk would thrash at the smallest use of the IDE and be unusable for minutes on end.

Someone put me on to a tool from JetBrains, the guys that did ReSharper - it is supposed to change the way memory is allocated. One of the guys on our project who is using this tool is now using a lot less memory, but whilst mine is better than it was, it still aint that great.

So it may help.

Another option is to add /3GB /USERVA=3030 to the boot.ini file. Visual Studio is already large address aware (I think), so it should allow more VM use for the devenv.exe process.


Update:
One of the biggest causes of this was DevExpress Refactor! Pro. I'm normally a big fan of this add-in, but uninstalling it saved me enormous amounts of memory. 

No comments:

Powered By Blogger